Sunday, September 29, 2013

This weeks edition

Holy cow this week was amazing!!
 
There was so much that happened, but I'm only going to have time to tell you 3 stories about this week.
 
The first happened this last Friday.  Every Friday we have a service project, and this week it was cleaning the temple grounds.  Well, to get down to the basement we have to go down the elevator from the 5th floor, and we like to cram elders into the elevator so we don't have to take as many trips.
 
Well, I was one of the last ones in, and as I got in, I felt something fall out of my shirt, and I looked down and saw the magnetic back of my name tag lying on the floor.... and I realized immediately that my name tag wasn't attached to my shirt anymore.
 
I looked down to see where it went and I saw it fall off of my shirt down, down, down, and straight down the gap in the elevator door….you know… the gap that is really the elevator shaft....the one that you can't get anything out of.....ya....actually I did get it back though… yesterday.  But it's all dented from the 6 story flight.  It's actually kinda cool cause my name tag now has battle scars :)  That's the first story.
 
My second story is a tad longer, and a lot more spiritual.
 
As you know I get to go to Retiro Park every Saturday and get references.  (The same park my dad has been to!)  Well, I have forgotten to tell you a little story that happened to me the first week I went. 
 
My companion and I found an old lady sitting on a bench reading the Bible and as we went up to her and started talking, she pulled out a church pamphlet and started asking questions.  (Now keep in mind this is after only 3 days of Spanish) Well, from what we could understand, she goes to the park every week and when the missionaries come up to her she tries to ask them questions, but obviously, since all the missionaries are still at the MTC and don't know Spanish, we can't answer them, which is super frustrating.  She also told us we don't speak Spanish very well, and we needed to come back when we new Spanish better. 
 
So, that's what we did.  The second week, after 9 days of Spanish, we went back and tried again, but again she told us to learn Spanish better.  Well, after every time of going to the park, we have a testimony meeting, and I told this story.  Afterward, Elder Sullivan, the first councilor in the MTC Presidency, said that the next week I could meet with one of the missionaries in the area and visit her again.  
 
So I had the opportunity to be able to this Saturday!  It was so cool because the elder just talked to her for a while, and I couldn't understand it at all -  but the Spirit was so strong.  It was way cool -  but that wasn't the coolest part. 
 
While Elder Pentell (the missionary I was with) and I were on our way to where the lady was, we got stopped by a man who spoke English.  He wanted to know more about why we were everywhere in the world, because apparently he is a world traveler, and has seen missionaries everywhere.  In fact, he was talking about the temple in Salt Lake.   He's been there apparently, and missionaries took him around Temple Square.  So when we mentioned there was a temple in Madrid, he got way excited, and said he would love to come visit, and asked if I could get out of my training for a bit to help show him around.  I don't know if it will happen or not, but if it does, it would be so cool!!!  Elder Pentell said he would contact me and tell me when - if it does, so hopefully next time I e-mail it will have happened.  
 
Here is my third, and final story, and it possibly is the coolest. 
 
So, we had a little fireside Sunday, and one of the local stake presidents, President Gomez, came to speak to us.  He was talking about his mission that was 24 years ago in Madrid.  Then he started talking about how he switched mission presidents in the middle of his mission.  I figured out, hey - he might know my dad - because dad was on his mission in the same place, same time!!
 
Guess what?!   The next picture he pulled up was one of his district - and right in the center of it was my dad!!  It was so  cool!  I talked to him afterward  and he said he remembered an Elder Dixon from his mission!!! It was insane!!!
 
Other than that, not much happened this week.
 
We got to tour the Real Madrid Stadium, which was cool, and my companion and I are getting along really well.  
 
The Spirit is so strong here.  I love this gospel and I love teaching people about it.  The church is true, and I know that without a shadow of a doubt.
 
I love you all,
Elder Dixon
Real Madrid Stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment